The judging process of the Etisalat Award for Children’s Literature is conducted with full transparency and in the most professional manner possible. This has served to raise the profile of the Award and to provide publishers with a greater incentive to submit their best books to the Award. Entries are evaluated by an independent judging panel, which chooses the shortlist and winner.
The judging process is conducted according to the clauses listed below.
To ensure transparency in the selection of the members of the judging panel, the following will be taken into account:
- Members of the judging panel will not be allowed to have any of their works submitted to the Award.
- To the fullest extent possible, the judging panel will be composed of members with a broad and diverse range of qualifications and specialisations, such as publishers, authors, critics, illustrators, and other experts.
- The jury may seek the assistance of experts in the fields of science, literature or the arts when needed in so far as this remains in compliance with the principles of confidentiality and full neutrality and is in full adherence to the points above.
- The composition of the judging panel is secret, and the names of the members will not be revealed before the winners of the Award have been announced.
- The members of the judging panel should be diverse in terms of geographical and national backgrounds.
The Award’s management shall form a judging panel each year, provided that it includes a minimum of three members with relevant expertise, competence and integrity.
The names of the members of the judging panel and the content of their discussion during their meetings shall remain secret. The Award's management may announce the names of the members during the bestowing ceremony.
The work of judging begins the day after the signing the award agreement submitted by the Award’s management. It shall end upon their submission of a report on a date determined by the Award’s management.
The judging panel shall present a written report presenting the results of their discussions. The report should specify the reasons behind the choice of the winning books in each category.
The choice of winning books shall be decided by majority vote.
If any member of the judging panel cannot attend a meeting due to an emergency, his or her written report shall be considered sufficient. He/she shall have no right to object to the decision(s) made by judging panel during the meeting.
The constitution of the judging panel is secret and the names of its members should not be revealed before the announcement of the winning book. Judges are not permitted to announce or reveal that they are members of the Etisalat Award for Arabic Children's Literature judging panel. Neither are they allowed to disclose the results of the deliberations of the judging panel to any external party.
A judge shall withdraw from the judging panel if one of his/her relatives of the first or second degree has a work submitted for the award.
The judging panel shall evaluate the books submitted for the Award in accordance with the rules and criteria specified by the Award's management.
The jury reserves the unquestionable right to transfer submission from one section to another, if deemed necessary.
If a winning book has more than one author, the prize money will be divided equally between them or as per the judging panel’s decision.
Please download the Award booklet for more information.